Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I am what I am

"You don't have to be super mom" -- my oldest said that to me one day after I had worked in the garden, answered several hours worth of emails, phone calls, set up a couple orders, worked on an author's book, cleaned the kitchen, helped with laundry and stood up to look around as if all my effort for the day had accomplished absolutely nothing because nothing was anywhere near the "done" stage yet.

That's pretty much how it goes around here. I have many people ask how I do everything that I do. And then I wonder if I do anything that I do well enough until something does reach a "done" stage and people start telling me how great of a job it is from neighbors driving by to see the landscaping to those who read my books. Yet I have snapshots I haven't yet developed from Christmas (2007) or the final painted stripe on my youngest's bedroom wall that was painted last summer or the border put up in my bathroom painted in February. I have piles of "gotta do that yet" things that have grown in the last several months. But I also have another book nearly finished, a growing garden, a newly organized office and a business that is keeping its head above a watery sea of bills - even though its just barely, it is only just begun.

I may not be the speediest person with some tasks, but what I do, I pace myself to do well. I don't rush for the sake of meeting deadlines. I let ideas simmer to create the best art designs possible. It's the way that I work, slow and steady, paced out and available to ponder things to find the absolute best in everything that I do that deals with design or creation, from books and writing to the landscaping of my yard or finishing of my basement (not even close there yet).

Yes, I handle a lot through the days. Mostly because I can delegate some jobs like doing the dishes, laundry, sweeping, cleaning bathrooms to my teen-agers and my now nine year old who I'm very thankful do so just to help me out. I guess you can say we are a household of multi-taskers and most days everything works out just fine in the end.

No comments: