Friday, May 30, 2008

All in a day's work

Warm weather hits and everyone is happy. It's great to get outside. I'll admit I am a homebody. But I don't necessarily like being in the house. Given the chance, I'll leave the cozy rooms behind to dig in the dirt, trim grass, cook over the firepit, or transplant saplings.

It's not been all that calmly enjoyable yet this year. It's funny how much work can pile up, and how much one year can take from a person's strength. My daughter laughed and made the comment to my spending too much time in the computer chair when I ended up with fists full of blisters from sinking posts. "Yes," I said. "I know I do." And after a few days of back breaking work digging up sod (in places I never wanted grass in the first place) and sinking 4x4 posts below frost line level (oh, about three feet or so) to make the garden fence look nice while keeping out nasty devil rabbits since it is in the front yard. We have an infestation of rabbits who believe everything from the saplings I plant to the peas, spinach and bean plants I nurture are exclusively for them.

I like my desk and computers just fine, but there's nothing like a hard day of sweat and strain to clear the mind and soul. Guess I get it honestly, my grandfather was a farmer, my other a coal miner. We're a hard working bunch :)

Now, if I could just find time to get my computer work done, website updates, stories written and the garden planted and the house cleaned (it's been rather neglected lately and I'm a neat freak), I'll be doing good.

No comments: